Friday, November 21, 2008

Catholics United


I grew up Catholic. I left the church and eventually Christianity decades ago. But I always have some affection for Catholics. It was in part for me part of an ethnic identity. Although my ethnic heritage is mixed (Portuguese, Cherokee, French, English and more), my father's first language was Portuguese. I remember fondly our family going to Portuguese Catholic celebrations and feasts.

So, I sometimes notice what is going on with Catholics, especially progressive and thoughtful Catholics. Catholics United is one of those organizations that caught my eye in this recent election. I have already posted content from one of their campaigns on how we can do our best to reduce actions against life. I think most Americans are like me. I support the right to choose, believing that a woman's body is her own; yet I experience qualms about this matter.

It is so easy to see so-called "pro-life" groups as caring only about "the unborn," ignoring the "already born." There are so many issues of lost lives (war, capital punishment) and of life quality issues (poverty, malnutrition, lacking health care). Those are usually ignored by the so-called "pro-life" groups.

Catholics United is a notable exception. They genuinely care not only about life after birth but about reducing the conditions that lead to more not less abortions. I encourage all who truly want to reduce abortions and to care about the quality of life after birth to visit this web site:

http://www.catholics-united.org/

No comments: